Facts behind the name Basil
The Basil name is not common in most of the world but where it is it holds power even if it sound like a food spice. The origin or meaning of Basil of Basil lies within ancient Greece meaning king.
Later as the centuries passed the name would gain its fame by being the name of the 4th-century bishop of Caesarea. This man being one of the early fathers of the christian church gave this name meaning an popularity of the name Basil among Christians of eastern origin thus giving it a permanent place among royalty and any other class of the environment.
How to Pronounce Basil?
Basil is Pronounced as BAZ-il with the same rhythm as the word Hazel.
Basil was not in the top 100 baby boys’ names in England in 2014.
Famous People and Characters called Basil
- Basil Rathbone was an English actor who starred in Robin Hood and David Copperfield in the 1930’s.
- Basil Brooke was the 3rd Prime Minister of Northern Ireland.
- Basil Faulty was a character from a 1970’s sitcom Faulty Towers.
- Basil Brush is a children’s glove puppet and cartoon.
- Discover the meaning and popularity of other English boys’ names