Bruce: Meaning and Origin
Bruce is an English male name. In English, the meaning of Bruce is a thick brush. In France, however, it means “from Brys”. The name was brought to England by the Normans, from a town named Brix in France. The name Bruce has been a Scottish surname since medieval times. It was made famous by Robert the Bruce (1274-1329), who achieved independence from England in the fourteenth century and became King Robert I of Scotland.
Popularity of Bruce
A research carried out in 2013 shows that Bruce is not among the top a hundred most popular names in England. It was ranked position 400 in the United States and attained the 375th position in Netherlands in terms of popularity. This is despite a large number of celebrities who bear the name.
Celebrities with the name Bruce
Popular people called Bruce include:
• Bruce Lee- martial artist and movie actor
• Bruce Willis- movie star
• Bruce Campbell- movie actor, producer, writer, and author.
• Bruce Springsteen- singer-songwriter
• Bruce Carter- football player
• Bruce Greenwood- actor and musician
• Bruce Wayne- the personality behind Batman
People named Bruce are said to be charismatic leaders who value integrity and discipline.
- Discover the meaning and popularity of more boys’ names on our website.