The Meaning and Origin of the name Calvin
The meaning of Calvin derives from the French surname ‘Cauvin’ which roughly translates to “bald”. This is potentially one of the reasons why the name has fallen out of popularity as people have learned the name’s meaning and decided they weren’t fond of the idea of naming their child “Bald”.
Famous People with the Name
The name Calvin has been around for quite sometime. Many notable men have had the name Calvin include:
- John Calvin Coolidge, who was the 30th President of the United States of America.
- Calvin Klein, the famous fashion designer.
- Calvin Abueva, a professional basketball player from the Philippines
- Calvin Abrams, Major League Baseball outfielder.
- Calvin Broadus, also known as Snoop Dogg, the very famous rapper.
The popularity of Calvin as a name has seemed to decrease over time though. While there are still numerous Calvins it’s less and less common now, not even reaching into the top 100 most popular baby boy names in England in 2014.
Discover the meaning and origin of other English boys’ names on our website