William is a popular boy’s name. On this page we’ll provide information on the meaning and origins of the English name. We will also provide information on its popularity and famous people called William.
Meaning of William
William is a Germanic name that was introduced to England by the Normans. The name means desire and protection. William is a name that is heavily linked with Royalty.
William has been a popular name in England ever since its introduction and according to the 2011 statistics from the Office of National Statistics William is the 9th most popular baby boy’s name in England. It is also a common baby boy’s name in Wales being placed in 13th. William is also a popular choice for the Royalty.
Here is our list of famous people throughout history with the first name William:
- William the Conqueror – the 1st Norman King of England
- William Shakespeare – Probably one of the most famous poet and playwrights the world has ever seen.
- William Shatner –a Canadian actor who was famous for his role as Captain Kirk in Star Trek.
- William Wallace – a leader who fought for independence for Scotland. He was portrayed in the film Braveheart.
- See our comprehensive list of English boy’s names.
- A common nick name for William is Bill.
- Expecting and baby and looking for Hot Offers on Baby products?